Sorting and view mode

Bone china covered jug with buds and bells decoration - c.1930

Bone china covered jug with buds and bells decoration, © Wedgwood Museum
    Bone china covered jug with buds and bells decoration
    © Wedgwood Museum

Covered jug with a cream ground; hand-painted with buds and bells. Bone china. Millie Taplin c.1930

Covered jug with a cream ground; hand-painted with buds and bells. Bone china. Millie Taplin c.1930

  • Type of object: Useful ware/jug
  • Mark: (portland vase motif)
    WEDGWOOD
    MADE IN ENGLAND
    [Printed]
    s123w
    [Painted]
  • Year produced: c.1930
  • Body: Bone china
  • Decoration: hand-painted
  • Accession number: 12251

Related people

  • Millicent Taplin

    Millicent Taplin (1902 - 1980)

    Millicent Jane Taplin commenced at the old Etruria factory in 1917, having previously attended evening classes at the Stoke School of Art. She then commenced to work at Etruria under the surveillance of Alfred and Louise Powell, who had established a School of free-hand paintresses at the Etruria factory works. Eventually, Millicent Taplin was to head the paintresses in the hand-crafts studio both at Etruria and Barlaston. She married in 1932 and in 1935 started to teach design and painting at the art school where she had originally been a student. During the late 1930s she became one of the more prolific designers for Wedgwood creating both printed and painted patterns for use on bone china as well as Queen’s ware and other ceramic bodies.One of her first designs was 'Kingcup', but one of the most successful was 'Strawberry Hill' which was designed jointly with Victor Skellern and honoured by a Design of the Year Award by the Council of Industrial Design in 1957. Around 1956 Miss Taplin took over the running of the newly combined china and earthenware hand-painting departments, remaining there until her retirement in 1962. She died in 1980.

Glossary

  • Bone china

    Bone china

    A porcelain made from clay and feldspathic rock with the addition of about 50 percent of calcined animal bone. Josiah Wedgwood II introduced bone china at the Wedgwood Etruria factory in 1812.