Sorting and view mode

Hutschenreuther Christmas tree bauble - 2006

Hutschenreuther Christmas tree bauble
    Hutschenreuther Christmas tree bauble

The Wedgwood Museum's collections include not only pieces of Wedgwood but also items made by Wedgwood's subsidiary firms, both before and after their amalgamation into the Wedgwood Group. German porcelain and glass company Hutschenreuther has a long tradition of producing wares and decorations for the Christmas market. This bauble is one of the porzellankugeln, or porcelain balls, that Hutschenreuther introduced in 2006.

The Wedgwood Museum's collections include not only pieces of Wedgwood but also items made by Wedgwood's subsidiary firms, both before and after their amalgamation into the Wedgwood Group. German porcelain and glass company Hutschenreuther has a long tradition of producing wares and decorations for the Christmas market. This bauble is one of the porzellankugeln, or porcelain balls, that Hutschenreuther introduced in 2006. The design features happy reindeer, each of which is wearing a festive red and white scarf. One reindeer stands next to a Christmas tree also garlanded with a red and white scarf. This colourway is continued with the contrast of the white ground to the red ribbon supplied with the bauble from which it would be hung.

  • Type of object: Ornamental ware/Christmas decoration
  • Mark: (Lion device with 1814 in oval cartouche)
    HUTSCHENREUTHER
    GERMANY
    [Printed in gold]
  • Year produced: 2006
  • Body: porcelain
  • Glaze: clear glaze
  • Material: ceramic, man-made fibre, plastic
  • Decoration: digitally printed
  • Accession number: 12633
  • Dimensions: 376 mm (length, including ribbon), 59 mm (approximate diameter of bauble)

Other images

Glossary

  • Hutschenreuther

    Hutschenreuther

    The Hutschenreuther company was founded by Carolus Magnus Hutschenreuther in 1814. After his death in 1845, the company was headed up by his widow and her two sons. From 1860 the factory produced hand-painted gilded porcelains. After a major fire, the factory was rebuilt in 1848.

    In later years Hutschenreuther joined the Rosenthal Group who in turn later became part of the Waterford Wedgwood plc group of companies.