Sorting and view mode

J & G Meakin Arcadia platter - After 1912

J & G Meakin Arcadia platter
    J & G Meakin Arcadia platter

The Wedgwood Museum's collections include not only pieces of Wedgwood but also items made by Wedgwood's subsidiary firms, both before and after their amalgamation into the Wedgwood Group. This J & G Meakin platter dating from after 1912 has the Arcadia pattern.

The Wedgwood Museum's collections include not only pieces of Wedgwood but also items made by Wedgwood's subsidiary firms, both before and after their amalgamation into the Wedgwood Group. This J & G Meakin platter dating from after 1912 has the Arcadia pattern. Although we believe Arcadia was introduced in around 1910 the backstamp of this piece incorporates the rising sun device - which Meakin registered in 1912. Arcadia is printed in blue on a white ground, with details hand coloured in yellow, red and green. The Chinese scene features a lake bordered by trees and flowers under a full moon. On the lake is a small fishing boat and the pattern also depicts a kingfisher in flight.

  • Type of object: Dinner ware/platter
  • Mark: ARCADIA
    REGD SOL 391413
    [Rising sun device]
    J.&G. MEAKIN
    ENGLAND
    [Printed in blue]
  • Year produced: After 1912
  • Body: ironstone
  • Glaze: white
  • Material: ceramic
  • Decoration: hand-painted, under-glaze blue-painted and printed, edge-lined
  • Accession number: 12516
  • Dimensions: 282 mm (length), 206 mm (width), 25 mm (depth)

Other images

Glossary

  • J & G Meakin

    J & G Meakin

    J & G Meakin was founded in 1851. The factory became known for producing vast quantities of cheap ironstone china for the home and export markets.

    The firm joined the Wedgwood Group of companies in 1970, which in turn became Waterford Wedgwood plc in later years. Production under the Meakin name ceased in 2000, and their long established works - Eagle Pottery - continued to produce products for Johnson Brothers until all production was moved overseas in 2004. The Eagle Works was demolished in 2005.