Sorting and view mode

J & G Meakin cream jug - After 1964

J & G Meakin Fleur cream jug
    J & G Meakin Fleur cream jug

The Wedgwood Museum's collections include not only pieces of Wedgwood but also items made by Wedgwood's subsidiary firms, both before and after their amalgamation into the Wedgwood Group. This J & G Meakin cream jug from after 1964 is in on Studio 2 shape. The pattern is unknown.

The Wedgwood Museum's collections include not only pieces of Wedgwood but also items made by Wedgwood's subsidiary firms, both before and after their amalgamation into the Wedgwood Group. This J & G Meakin cream jug from after 1964 is in on Studio 2 shape. The pattern is unknown. The Studio 2 shape was launched by Meakin in January 1964 and proved highly successful. It remained in production into the late 1970s. A large number of patterns were produced especially for this shape and details of all of them have not survived. Therefore exact dates of production cannot be given.

  • Type of object: Teaware/cream
  • Mark: (JG cypher device)
    STUDIO
    J.& G. MEAKIN
    ENGLAND
    [Printed in grey]
    J
    [Inscribed]
  • Year produced: After 1964
  • Body: ironstone
  • Glaze: white
  • Material: ceramic
  • Decoration: lithographed
  • Accession number: 12584a
  • Dimensions: 68 mm (height), 100 mm (approximate width), 61 mm (depth)

Other images

Glossary

  • J & G Meakin

    J & G Meakin

    J & G Meakin was founded in 1851. The factory became known for producing vast quantities of cheap ironstone china for the home and export markets.

    The firm joined the Wedgwood Group of companies in 1970, which in turn became Waterford Wedgwood plc in later years. Production under the Meakin name ceased in 2000, and their long established works - Eagle Pottery - continued to produce products for Johnson Brothers until all production was moved overseas in 2004. The Eagle Works was demolished in 2005.