Sorting and view mode

J & G Meakin platter - After 1930

J & G Meakin platter
    J & G Meakin platter

The Wedgwood Museum's collections include not only pieces of Wedgwood but also items made by Wedgwood's subsidiary firms, both before and after their amalgamation into the Wedgwood Group. This J & G Meakin platter dating from the 1930s is on their 'sunflower' cane-coloured body. The design is transfer printed. The pattern is unknown.

The Wedgwood Museum's collections include not only pieces of Wedgwood but also items made by Wedgwood's subsidiary firms, both before and after their amalgamation into the Wedgwood Group. This J & G Meakin platter dating from the 1930s is on their 'sunflower' cane-coloured body. The design is transfer printed. The pattern is unknown. The platter is in Meakin's Glamour shape, which was in itself a 1930s innovation. The backstamp is Meakin's standard Sunshine mark. Some sources say this was typical of their production in this decade, whereas others state that this was introduced in 1940. If it is the case that the latter is true then this item is probably of post war production. It incorporates the SOL mark and rising sun device that was first used by Meakin in c.1912.

  • Type of object: Dinner ware/platter
  • Mark: SUNSHINE
    RD561073
    REGD SOL 391413
    [Rising sun with column at either side device]
    J.&G. MEAKIN
    ENGLAND
    [Printed in blue]
    X
    [Painted in green]
  • Year produced: After 1930
  • Body: sunflower
  • Glaze: clear glaze
  • Material: ceramic
  • Decoration: transfer-printed, edge-lined
  • Accession number: 12518
  • Dimensions: 310 mm (length), 243 mm (width), 29 mm (depth)

Other images

Glossary

  • J & G Meakin

    J & G Meakin

    J & G Meakin was founded in 1851. The factory became known for producing vast quantities of cheap ironstone china for the home and export markets.

    The firm joined the Wedgwood Group of companies in 1970, which in turn became Waterford Wedgwood plc in later years. Production under the Meakin name ceased in 2000, and their long established works - Eagle Pottery - continued to produce products for Johnson Brothers until all production was moved overseas in 2004. The Eagle Works was demolished in 2005.