Sorting and view mode

Pair of silver lustre lamp bases by Taplin and Wilson - c.1930

Pair of silver lustre lamp bases by Taplin and Wilson, © Wedgwood Museum
    Pair of silver lustre lamp bases by Taplin and Wilson
    © Wedgwood Museum

A pair of lamp bases, the shape and translucent ground designed by Norman Wilson. Hand-painted in silver lustre by Millie Taplin.

A pair of lamp bases, the shape and translucent ground designed by Norman Wilson. Hand-painted in silver lustre by Millie Taplin.

  • Type of object: Ornamental ware/lamp
  • Mark: WEDGWOOD N.W
    [Printed]
    F
    [Painted]
    WEDGWOOD
    [Impressed]
    N.W.
    [Impressed]
  • Year produced: c.1930
  • Material: ceramic
  • Decoration: hand-painted, lustre
  • Accession number: 9171, 9171a
  • Dimensions: 385 mm (height), 201 mm (diameter)

Related people

  • Millicent Taplin

    Millicent Taplin (1902 - 1980)

    Millicent Jane Taplin commenced at the old Etruria factory in 1917, having previously attended evening classes at the Stoke School of Art. She then commenced to work at Etruria under the surveillance of Alfred and Louise Powell, who had established a School of free-hand paintresses at the Etruria factory works. Eventually, Millicent Taplin was to head the paintresses in the hand-crafts studio both at Etruria and Barlaston. She married in 1932 and in 1935 started to teach design and painting at the art school where she had originally been a student. During the late 1930s she became one of the more prolific designers for Wedgwood creating both printed and painted patterns for use on bone china as well as Queen’s ware and other ceramic bodies.One of her first designs was 'Kingcup', but one of the most successful was 'Strawberry Hill' which was designed jointly with Victor Skellern and honoured by a Design of the Year Award by the Council of Industrial Design in 1957. Around 1956 Miss Taplin took over the running of the newly combined china and earthenware hand-painting departments, remaining there until her retirement in 1962. She died in 1980.

  • Norman Wilson

    Norman Wilson (1902 - 1985)

    Norman Wilson was born in 1902 and a master potter, designer and inventor. He was Works Manager at Etruria from 1927, Production Director from 1946 and Joint Managing Director from 1961. Norman Wilson was educated at Ellesmere College and graduated as a silver medallist from the North Staffordshire Technical College. He worked for a short period with his father who was also a china manufacturer before emigrating to Canada where he broke in polo ponies. He was recalled to the Wedgwood company by Frank Wedgwood who appointed him Works Manager at Etruria in September 1927. Norman Wilson was responsible for the introduction of the first gas-fired tunnel ovens at the factory as well as a wide range of new bodies, shapes and glazes. Mr. Wilson during the period 1930-1960 experimented and produced a wide range of Ornamental items such as vases and bowls in a range of ceramic bodies, and exhibiting a wide variety of glazes. He died in 1985. His son, Andrew Norman Wilson (best known as A.N.Wilson), born in 1950, is a writer, newspaper columnist and broadcaster.