Cauliflower ware teapot - 1764
In the early days of the company wares were not as sophisticated as the classically inspired production of later years. Around 1759, when the Wedgwood factory was first established, earthenware items naturalistically modelled or moulded in the form of fruits and vegetables formed a staple part of the factory’s production.
Rococo-inspired wares formed a very small part of early Wedgwood production, but the most distinctive of these were those naturalistically-moulded earthenware fruit and vegetable forms made around 1760. Other potters in Staffordshire also made similar wares at this time.The lower portions of the cauliflower wares received a decoration of a brilliant green glaze, considered by many to have been developed by Wedgwood himself around the time of his partnership with Thomas Whieldon, master potter at Fenton. Wedgwood’s early experiment books mention the development of coloured glazes, and William Greatbatch, also an associate of Whieldon and Wedgwood, is known to have supplied local potters with models and biscuit wares in these forms.
- Type of object: Teaware/teapot
- Year first produced: 1764
- Body: Queen's ware, cream-coloured earthenware
- Glaze: deep-green glaze
- Material: ceramic
- Decoration: glazed, moulded
- Accession number: 4255
- Dimensions: 130 mm (height), 180 mm (width), 100 mm (depth)