Brick House Works (1763-72)

Also known as the Bell Works from Josiah's practice of summoning his workers by the use of a bell, instead of the traditional horn. Rented from the beginning of 1763 from the Adams' family, it was at this site that Wedgwood produced the tea and coffee service which earned him, in 1766, permission from Queen Charlotte to style himself 'Potter to Her Majesty'. In November 1769 Josiah received notice to quit the Brick House premises because his landlord, William Adams, required the buildings for himself. Joisah did not fully re-locate from this site to his new Etruria factory until the summer or autumn of 1772.

Images

Brick House Works, © Wedgwood Museum

Brick House Works
© Wedgwood Museum