Emile Lessore (1805-76)

A renowned painter on pottery and porcelain - Lessore studied in the Studio of Ingres, exhibiting regularly at the Paris Salon. He worked at the Sèvres factory, then moved to England, where he was first employed by Minton. In 1860 he moved to Wedgwood, Etruria, where he gained a great reputation. At the 1862 International exhibition, Lessore became the first Wedgwood artist since the celebrated John Flaxman jnr to receive individual acclaim for his designs. As with many artists Lessore's work was not fully appreciated during his own lifetime. However, in later years he was to achieve the recognition which he truly deserved.


Emile Lessore, © Wedgwood Museum

Emile Lessore
© Wedgwood Museum