Clement Wedgwood (1840-89)
The second son of Francis (Frank), he began to work for the family firm in 1859, and became a partner in 1863. He was educated at Mannheim and Paris. Like generations of Wedgwoods before him he studied the family business from the mill and slip-house, throughout the different departments on the factory. Clement also had interests outside the factory, being Captain of the North Stafford Militia, and Chairman of the Hanley School Board. His interest in education is reflected in his establishment of informal lessons for the young workers at Etruria during lunch breaks. He was also a keen horseman, riding to hounds as well as to his work at the Etruria factory. The Clement Wedgwoods made their home at Barlaston Lea although on his father’s death, he had taken over the Upper House at Barlaston. In 1866, he married Emily Rendel with whom he had five children.